Thursday, April 8, 2010

Eatin' Fish Tails?

OK OK ... so I just hauled off and pan fried some trout (sans the heads and tails) and it got me to thinkin' about my ol' daddy, him, eatin' fried catfish tails. Dat's right, he'd eat the tails ... the tail FINS. Mais, I never could cotton up to that notion ... but my grandaddy did it too. So the question becomes: is fried catfish tail fin eatin' some kinda genetic defect that only runs in my family ... or do other folks eat catfish tail fins? Mama would always fry them tails up real crispy, breaded in cornmeal, so they were nice and crunchy. Here we are, 50 years removed, and I can still hear them fish tails crunchin' when daddy would eat'em. LOL

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it is a genetic defect then it runs in my family too. When I was a kid I would go fishing and catch buckets full of small perch. My grandmother would batter and fry those things so crisp that you could almost eat the whole fish, with the tails being the crispiest part. After catching a bunch of catfish just last Sunday, I enjoyed the tails.

I really enjoy and look forward to your blog. I love the photos and your sense of humor.

Chez said...

lol ~ howdy george, and thanks for the feedback. your comments made me remember my grandpa, who would take me fishing down at the *crick* ... and we would catch bullheads. he would fry them up right there on the spot, real crispy like, in a cast iron skillet on his old coleman campstove ... then pull the meat off the bones & put it between 2 pieces of white bread w/mustard. damn, those were some good sandwiches, yeh.

Paul said...

You really need to keep that trout in one whole piece when you fry it son. My girls, who loved to catch and clean those trout, always went for the cheek meat and let me ear the crispy tails. Loved frying those babies in salt pork and then eating those little crunchy morsels. Thanks for memories!!

Unknown said...

Chez, we fried all of our fish and if you didn't want your tail...somebody else did!