Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Rabbit Redux

Years ago while lying in my hammock and drinkin' JD from the bottle I noticed my dog draggin' something under the fence. Upon inspection, to my dismay, I realized it was the next door neighbor's 10 year old daughter's pet rabbit.

For years I had watched her come home from school and head straight out to it's cage, free it and play with it in the yard. I knew today would be no different and fearing for our dog, I had to think fast. The rabbit was quite dirty, as if it had put up quite a struggle, so I washed it off with the hose, combed it with the dog brush and blew it dry with the leaf blower. Upon finishing it's grooming I hopped the fence and placed it back in it's cage hoping it's death would be written off as "natural causes".

Back to the hammock and my JD. Within the hour the neighbor's Volvo pulled in as usual and out popped the little girl, and as usual she headed straight for the cage. Only this time she stopped about six feet away and screamed: "DDAAADDDDDYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Her father, panic stricken, stood looking at the cage. Being the good neighbor that I am I rushed to fence and asked if there was anything I could do. Her father less than calmly blurted, "What kind of sick individual would dig up a little girl's dead rabbit and put it back in it's cage??"

No comments: