Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It's That Time Of Year Again

One of the guys on the bbq forum that I belong to posted this pic today ... results of one his morel hunts last spring. I love fresh wild morels, and this pic got my fever up big time ~ it's been a very wet winter, and temps were in the low 80s today ... so a few more warm days like today and the ground temps will warm up & morel season will be in full swing around these parts. I went for a cruise out into the country last week & checked out some of my ol' reliable morel *honey holes* ... but din't see any shrooms popping up yet. Any day now .... any day now.

One of the ways to tell if the morels are popping up is the arrival of robins, which is directly related to increased activity of earthworms, which is directly related to ground temp ~ the old timers claimed the first full moon of spring (full worm moon) signals the start of morel season. The full worm moon was a couple nights ago.

No comments: