Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening


Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening


Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost

4 comments:

Pat said...

One of my all time faves.

Unknown said...

This poem and If by Kipling remain two of my all time favorites. I made a Louisana Pecan Pie for a luncheon that had orange zest. Oh it was delicious! Served it with a swirl of brown sugar ice cream. I'm sure your recipe for this premiere southern dessert is over the top.
Happy Twirls and Merry Christmas

Chez said...

hi mzlibby ~ i love that kipling poem, too ... also one of my favorites ~ right up there with desiderata. your pecan pie sounds fantastic ~ i made one a couple weeks ago (using steens cane syrup & a cup of chocolate chips in the bottom). speaking of chocolate - i just finished making a batch of chocolate/pecan fudge. tru dat.

Chez said...

that frost poem is the very first poem i ever learned, mzpatti ~ so it has a special place in this ol' curmudgeon's heart.