Saturday, August 23, 2008

Cowboy Candy

Made some sweet candied jalapenos today (aka Cowboy Candy) ~ stocking up the larder for winter. I used both green and ripe red jalapenos, onions, thin sliced lemon & whole pitted cherries ~ why cherries ... because I had some on hand, dat's why. Sweet brine also got whole cloves, peppercorns, mustard & celery seed, and cinnamon sticks in it. Instead of using all white sugar in the brine, I sub some brown sugar ~ dat gives the brine a nice amber color. Love these things with pepperoni/cheese pizza ... or just with cream cheese & crackers fer snackin'.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Came to this site for the first time from someone on the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board. Love your blog. Do you have a recipe for the candied Japs?

Buckeye Bob

Chez said...

howdy buckeye ~ i posted my gestalted version of dat cowboy candy recipe over on the basso forum - if you need more pointed instructions, shoot me an email: chezjohn at cox dot net

Anonymous said...

chez,

sent you an email.

Buckeye Bob

Anonymous said...

Hey, the candies japs look good!! Where can I get the recipe?

Chez said...

i posted my recipe on basso's bbq forum. you can also google cowboy candy and get several other recipes for it.