Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Cowboy's Christmas Prayer

Charlie Musselwhite ~ Silent Night

I ain't much good at prayin' and you may not know me, Lord
I ain't much seen in churches
Where they preach Thy Holy Word

But you may have observed me out here on the lonely plains
A-lookin' after cattle, feelin' thankful when it rains
Admiring Thy great handiwork, the miracle of grass
Aware of Thy kind spirit in the way it comes to pass...
That hired men on horseback and the livestock that we tend
Can look up at the stars at night and know we've got a friend

So here's ol' Christmas comin' on, remindin' us again
Of him whose coming brought good will into the hearts of men
A cowboy ain't no preacher, Lord, but if you'll hear my prayer
I'll ask as good as we have got for all men everywhere
Don't let no hearts be bitter, Lord, don't let no child be cold
Make easy beds for them that's sick
And them that's weak and old

Let kindness bless the trail we ride,
No matter what we're after

And sorta keep us on your side, in tears as well as laughter

I've seen old cows a-starvin', and it ain't no happy sight
Don't leave no one hungry, Lord, on Thy good Christmas night
No man, no child, no woman, and no critter on four feet
I'll aim to do my best to help you find 'em chuck to eat
I'm just a sinful cowpoke, Lord, ain't got no business prayin'
But still I hope you'll catch a word or two of what I'm sayin'
We speak of Merry Christmas ~ Lord, I reckon you'll agree
There ain't no Merry Christmas for nobody that ain't free

So one more thing I'll ask you, Lord, just help us what you can
To save some seeds of freedom for the future sons of man. Amen.

~~S. Omar Barker

No comments: