Sunday, October 26, 2008

Monica Taylor ~ Red Dirt Girl

My friend, Monica Taylor, was on the Prairie Home Companion radio program last night ... with Garrison Keillor. I got an email from Monica a few hours before the live program aired on NPR ... so I heard the whole show ... and Monica knocked it out of the park!! I knew she was a great singer, but I've never heard her sound better than she did tonight ~ performing with the great Cindy Cashdollar, Elvin Bishop and Hot Club Of Cowtown. I've known Monica since 2005, when she joined us for a bluegrass jam session at my buddy's farm in Big Cabin, Oklahoma ... and took the above picture of her at that session. If you missed the program last night, it will be archived on the Prairie Home Companion web site in a day or two. Here's Monica's web site <----click

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was traveling down I-40 on a long trip & stumbled across this exact program at the exact time she began to sing. I was lost in translation as the looming future of our great nation and the stability of our ever so fagile economy weighed heavily on my thoughts. As I drove and reflected on our great country with the beautiful folage changing from bright yellows, fire reds & burnt oranges, a harmonious cord was struck by that womans voice. The detailed description of Dorthea Lange's "Migrant Mother" put everything into perspective as Monica Taylor sang "Young Mother" It transported me back into the era of, and I felt a pin prick of the peoples struggle. I don't know what type of tears began to stream down my face as her voice cut into my soul, whether they were tears of sadness for our country or tears of joy for the scenic beauty that encompased me, but they did fall... & I don't even like blugrass/country.

Chez said...

beautiful commentary ~ thank you for stopping by my front porch. can i have your permission to forward your comments to monica? i think she would be pleased to know that her music moved you so...