Thursday, April 2, 2009

When My Cork Goes Out O' Sight


Gettin' old? Well yes, a bit
But I still have got the grit
When the birds begin to sing
In the early days o' spring
Fer to mosey down the crick
With a swing just fairly quick
Fer an old man; an' to stay
On the bank the livelong day
Thankful fer these days so bright
When my cork goes out o' sight

Old in years though I may be
Yet the spring my heart sets free
It makes me but a boy again
Jes a little boy o' ten
Makes me long to start once more
Down the crick as in days of yore
And this longing fills my heart
Till I get my pole an' start
Down the crick, a boy again
Jes' a little boy o' ten

Seems as natural as sin
Fer some fellers to begin
Workin', when the noisy bird
In the tree top first is heard
Jes' as natural fer me
Fer to sit beneath that tree
With my fishin' pole 'n line
And a feelin' most divine
Watchin', waitin' with delight
Till my cork goes out o' sight

When my cork goes out o' sight
Say, you bet I'm livin' right
For there's something of a treat
(In the line of things to eat)
Comes to me in early spring
When the birds are on the wing
And contentment rich 'n rare
Fills my heart while sittin' there
Fer sweet joy and pure delight
Let my cork go out o' sight!

Ed Blair
~~~**~~~**~~~
Doc Watson ~ Crawdad Hole

No comments: